Saturday, July 18, 2015

Anime Review: "Sailor Moon Crystal" Episode 26


Whelp, this is it, the final episode.



To sum up this episode, there is a pretty anti-climatic battle between Sailor Moon and Death Phantom, Moon gets a new compact, says hello to her future self, and everything is now peachy-keen.

There is zero character development for anyone but Chibiusa, who finally finds herself being useful. Moon and Tuxedo Mask prove once again that love is all they need, so nothing new there. The way that most all other characters are thrown to the side to make way for their romance is annoying as hell. You can feel for Chibiusa, as her mother probably talked to her more in this episode than she ever had before in Chibiusa's life combined (I just get this feeling that was the case). A lot of people hate the later SuperS arc of the series, since it focuses more on Chibiusa, but I enjoy that one a lot, because I find her character to be so much more realistic and convincing than Usagi's. Okay, to be honest, pretty much any other character is better, but note that I'm speaking about the manga and Crystal versions; I enjoy Usagi is every other adaptation.


As a married person, I do say that love is important in your life, and often the most important, but I'll be damned if I ignore everything else like a blind Juliet.

Speaking of under-developed characters, man, the guardians have been completely useless since each individual character's appearance. When I originally read the manga, that didn't stick out to me, but I think that was because of the pacing (it reads pretty quickly). Here, it's been drawn out over eight hours of screentime, making it hard to NOT notice. In this episode the Guardians even ask to be spent to help Sailor Moon, only to have Neo Queen Serenity tell them no. How's that for a slap in the face?


Durrr, watch us stand here for 20+ episodes.

The animation is pretty static most of the time, with hair often being the only moving part. There are no SURPRISE NICE SHOTS, but several UGH ones. You'd think for the final episode Toei would have at least tried. One thing this series has done right is shown us that trying is apparently hard as hell, so why bother?


Chibi Moon is not impressed with Toei's performance.

Now the question being asked is will there be more or not. The real answer is "who knows?" Toei said to wait for announcements. Truthfully, I think it could go either way: on one hand, it's basically an extended commercial for more merchandise and clearly isn't having a lot of money spent on it, so why not continue? On the other hand, the response to it has been so bad, no one really wants more. If they do continue it, I won't be reviewing it, that's for sure (hell, I probably won't even watch it).

No excuse me why I watch the new musicals again (SOOOOO good).


✰GARY'S FAVORITE SCENE✰

I find it funny that Usagi has HUGE knockers in her Princess dress, but apparently becomes flat-chested when she comes Queen. Uh.


FINAL RATING

Overall, a very disappointing page-by-page adaptation of the manga, complete with all the original errors, not to mention the pile of issues it brought to the party. There are some good moments, but they're all drowned in the massive pile of crap. I cannot recommend this series to anyone.


You can watch all the episodes streaming on Crunchyroll, Hulu, NeonAlley, or NicoNico. Or if the original 90's is more your thing, you can watch it at Hulu (with two more episodes every Monday).

No comments:

Post a Comment