Friday, July 19, 2013

Figurine Review: Kagamine Rin & Len Append Nendoroids


Today marks my first figurine review. Of course, I need to start with my all time favorites, the Kagamine twins. Let's see what these cuties have in store for me.



✰PRODUCT DETAILS✰
Characters: Kagamine Rin & Len Append
Origin: VOCALOID program
Manufacturer: Good Smile Company
Category: Nendoroid (#301 and #302)
Materials: ABS and PVC
Sculptors: Matsuzawa Yuuta and Nendoron
Height: 100mm (3.9in)
Retail Price: 3,333yen each
Release Date: June 25, 2013
Nendoroid Rin Kagamine Append / Figure/Doll
Nendoroid Ren Kagamine Append / Figure/Doll
Purchase Rin at CDJapan
Purchase Rin at RightStuf




Purchase Len at CDJapan
Purchase Len at RightStuf



Staring with Nendoroid number 300 (Miku ver. 2.0) Good Smile Company revamped their box designs and the face plates. While I don't think any of the old box designs were bad, these new ones definitely catch your eye. The colors are character-specific and the side designs are definitely an improvement. I'm also surprised by the sheer amount of English on the packaging, which I can only guess is included now since GSC has acknowledged how many oversea customers they now have.


The packaging is pretty standard, and I was happy to find plenty of plastic sheets, which means more protection. There is also an instruction sheet on how to change pieces and pose them on the base.

As per standard for Nendoroids, they both come with various arm and leg pieces for different poses. They come with a standard base and an extra background piece that is interesting on its own. Also included are stand arms for both bases.


Face plates have now been changed to where you do not have to remove the neck joint to change faces. Thank goodness for this, as one of my Nendo's joint broke once while changing it the first time and it's always been a weak point of the design. GSC also included an extra neck joint. I hope they continue to do this in the future.

However, while Rin's fringe and face came off easily, Len's was another matter. After finally getting it apart, it appears the left side is slightly warped on the inside. This makes changing out his face VERY difficult. Also, while changing out his left default foot it fell apart.I can tell that very little glue was used to put it together and the joint and hole are too loose to just pop it back together, so I will have to super-glue it.


As for the figurines themselves, the first thing that I notice is the sheer amount of detail in them. Nothing from the original design has been forgotten. I absolutely live the use of clear plastic for the yellow straps and Rin's bow; it's perfectly done. Their hair has a nice orange tint at the ends to add detail, not to mention the extra sculpting as well. But what I'm most amazed at are the details on their arm warmers. Sadly, my camera kept refusing to focus on that small of an area, so I can't show you how truly amazing it is.

Pose-ability is the same standard Nendoroid, where you can move the head, torso, arms, and legs a little, but these are not highly poseable figures.

The faces are appropriate, though I wish we could have gotten some actual accessories. Perhaps one day the twins will get their oranges and bananas. Actually, those items would make really awesome bases.... CHOP CHOP GOOD SMILE.


Overall I am very happy with these little guys. Putting aside some quality check issues with Len, I am super happy to add them to my growing army and they look perfect in my display case.

Since this was my first review, please feel free to give me feedback. What do you want to see more/less of? What should I cover next? I do apologize for the low quality photos, but I only own an eight year old digital camera at the moment, but I will try to take the best quality I can.

✰ADDITIONAL PHOTOS✰



1 comment:

  1. I got the Len append and in an attempt to take off his face I broke off one of his head phones attached to his hair. It can still be placed sturdily so I won't mess with it for now but I am thinking of hot gluing it

    ReplyDelete